Routine dental exams are important to maintaining healthy teeth and gums. Additionally, they can help to avoid the financial costs associated with large treatment plans later on. The Academy of General Dentistry recommends twice yearly checkups for people of all ages. At this frequency, most problems can be caught while they remain in an early stage.
How It's Done
The dentist first examines your mouth visually, using dental equipment such as mouth mirrors, dental picks, and high intensity lights. They will look for cracked and decayed teeth, as well as review other important items such as:
- Medical history review: The dentist will assess how any new medical conditions or illnesses may affect your dental health.
- Examination of tooth decay: Your mouth will be checked for cracked or decayed teeth.
- Oral cancer screening: The face, neck, lips, tongue, throat, tissues, and gums will be checked for any signs of oral cancer.
- Gum disease evaluation: Your gums and bone around the teeth will be checked for any evidence of periodontal disease.
- Examination of existing restorations: Current fillings, crowns, and other restorations are made sure to be in good order.
Additionally, your dentist will take diagnostic x-rays to reveal any other hidden problems, especially in the areas below the gums. Bitewing x-rays are typically taken every 12 months and a panographic x-ray, which revolves around the head, is taken every 3-5 years.
Take a look at our latest piece of equipment! Our new x-ray machine takes crystal clear images and enables us to better diagnose and treat any trouble you are experiencing!
Dr. Fariba Bolourchi's Sierra Dental Practice is Equipped
with Digital X-ray/Photography
Our new x-ray machine takes crystal clear images and enables us to better diagnose and treat any trouble you are experiencing!
No more waiting for a phone call, you can now see your results while waiting to be seen by the dentist. This saves time, money, and gives off less radiation!
Call us at (661) 259-4800 to learn more or make an appointment with us! You can also make an appointment online.